International Masters Championships and COVID-19 Information
Lifters who compete in IWF World or European Championships will be aware that to enter these championships the entry fee must be paid first to be able to receive an access code to enable registration through the online system at -
The registration system clearly states "NO REFUNDS".
The reasons for this are,
1. Organisers pay out a lot of money from their own funds to prepare in advance and ensure the championship reaches the required standard, they must be paid.
2. The IWF Masters and European Masters Committees (IWFMC and EMC) has a Secretariat who works many hours each week on all aspects of Masters weightlifting and must be paid honorariums which no way covers the hours worked. The same applies to the very efficient Anti-Doping Secretariat.
3. Masters bank accounts are in Belgium, the banks will not transfer money to certain countries, any policy of refunds must be fair to all nations.
4. Refunding entry fees would also require a heavier workload for Secretariats which is unacceptable and would require coopperation from the banks.
In the current climate, and because of the COVID-19 virus we are all having to face difficult times and this is recognised by the IWFMC and EMC.
What are the committees doing about this problem?
1. For Den Helder a date later in the year has been negotiated, again after hard work by the Secretariat and the Den Helder Organising Committee. New dates 28th Nov. to 5th Dec.
2. There is no Plan B for the World Masters Championship at this moment but email exchanges with the organisers are ongoing.
3. For reasons given above there are no REFUNDS. Some people say they cannot travel to compete later in the year and have booked flights and accommodation. However, most Airlines are either giving refunds or Vouchers to cover a future flight, also the hotels in Den Helder are doing something similar. No one should consider booking either without travel insurance which also covers these circumstances in full or partially.
4. For anyone who cannot make the arrangements to compete on the new dates they will be allowed to compete in the 2021 championship without further payment.
Meanwhile follow the rules about isolation, stay safe, and above all stay healthy.